What is a Pediatric Dentist?
- By Admin
- Apr 26, 2021
A Pediatric dentist is an oral care physician who undergoes additional dental training in providing treatment to infants, children, and teenagers. This type of dentist must possess the ability to take care of your child's teeth, gum, and overall oral hygiene throughout various stages of childhood.
For parents who want to know more about What is a Pediatric Dentist, the Cosmetic Clinic presents to you all must know pediatric dentistry facts.
What Role Does A Pediatric Dentist Play In Your Child's Oral Care?
A Pediatric Dentist must have the necessary qualification and experience in handling the dental care of kids. It is a fact of life that children first begin to develop teeth within the first six months of their life.
More importantly, they start losing these milk teeth at the tender age of 6 or 7 years, which eventually finds its replacement in the form of secondary, permanent teeth.
It, therefore, the experts from top hospitals recommend that it becomes essential that while your child is growing, he/she is given the appropriate dental care via high-quality Pediatric Dentistry. And thus, finding the best pediatric dentist for your child must be a priority.
What Are The Primary Responsibilities Of A Pediatric Dentist?
What are the types of treatments that yourA Dentist specializing in Pediatric Dentistry seeks to provide a comprehensive oral health care plan that your child needs.
It includes the following:
1. A complete oral care examination of an infant, including risk assessment for caries in mother and child.
2. Provides total Preventive dental care, including cleaning and fluoride treatments and nutrition and diet recommendations.
3. Provides for Habit counseling. For example, the use of pacifiers and thumb sucking.
4. Proper teeth straightening treatment and correction of an improper bite.
5. Thorough repair of tooth cavities or defects.
6. Complete diagnosis of oral conditions such as diabetes, congenital heart defect, asthma, hay fever, and attention deficit/ hyperactivity disorder.
7. Gum disease and conditions including ulcers, short frenulum, mucoceles, and pediatric periodontal disease management.
8. Treatment of all types of dental injuries such as fractured, displaced, or knocked-out teeth.
What Are The Basic Qualifications That A Pediatric Dentist Should Possess To Treat Your Child?
A Dentist who wants to make a career in Pediatric Dentistry and cater to all the dental needs of children requires to:
1. Attend four years of Dental School and graduate.
2. Undergo an additional two years of residency training in dentistry for infants, children, teens, and children with special needs.
What Are The Types Of Treatments That Your Child Can Expect To Get From A Pediatric Dentist?
There are several standard pediatric dental procedures that your child can receive while undergoing Pediatric dentistry in the hands of the best pediatric dentist in Navi Mumbai only at The Cosmetic Clinic.
They are as follows:
1. Stainless steel crowns application: In this process, the dentist generally inserts stainless steel crowns to prevent extensive damage to your child's tooth.
2. Dental filling: It is a treatment during which the dentist helps remove the plaque and tartar layer from your child's teeth' surface and root to keep it clean and healthy. Furthermore, after undergoing this dental procedure, your child must maintain the result by regularly following healthy oral hygiene.
3. Fluoride treatment: This process promotion remineralizing the decaying spots on your child's teeth. It is mainly to make your kid's teeth strong and thereby prevent the dental cavity.
4. Sealants usage: Sealant is a dental process that involves painting your child's tooth surface with a thin plastic layer to prevent bacterial accumulation. It is a treatment that can reduce the formation of plaque or tartar layers.
5. Pulp therapy: This is a dental treatment in which the pediatric dentist usually removes the damaged nerve or connective tissue without disturbing the unaffected nerves within your child's mouth.
Pediatric vs. General, why choose Pediatric Dentistry over a General Dentist for your child?
When it comes to handling any child's dental care you will need to know What a Pediatric Dentist is, because certain complex conditions require a pediatrician's expertise.
A Pediatric Dentist has undergone special training to cater to all the complex dental needs of your child.
For example, in fluoride treatments and dental sealants, it is a Pedodontist and not a General Dentist who can perform these processes.
What benefits can Pediatric Dentistry provide for your child with regards to oral care?
There are a couple of benefits that a Pediatric Dentist can offer to your child when it comes to Dental Care.
They are as follows:
1. The ability to know how to examine and treat children in ways that make them comfortable.
2. Usage of specially designed equipment made keeping dental care of children in mind.
3. A wide range of treatment options, as well as expertise and training to care for your child's teeth, gums, and mouth.
Why do you need to visit a Pediatric Dentist?
A Pediatric Dentist performs dental procedures similar to a General Dentist. However, the only difference is that Pedodontists have undergone training in handling infants, young children, adolescents and people with physical or mental disabilities.
A child or an individual with special needs responds to dental visits vastly different as compared to adults. And so, if you want to ensure that your child gets dental treatment without feeling any form of discomfort, you need to visit a Pediatric Dentist.
How do you choose the right Pediatric Dentist for your child?
As a parent, it is logical that you want only the best and most enjoyable dental treatment for your child. Therefore, it becomes very important that you find the correct answer to the question: What is a Pediatric Dentist to select the right Pediatric Dentist for your son or your daughter.
First, you should ensure that the Pediatric dentist has undergone training and has experience in handling children. Secondly, you should check out whether the dental professional's clinic is kid-friendly. Ideally, it must have toys, games, and kid furniture to help your child feel extremely calm before an appointment.
It is also important that you locate a dental clinic near your home so that you do not need to travel a distance. If you have dental insurance for your child, it is good to know in advance how the office handles insurance claims.
Finally, ensure that you explore dentists who are members of the Indian Dental Association and learn the advantages of this organization.
Where do I find the best Pediatric Dentist in Navi Mumbai who can provide my child with the best dental care?
There are several Pediatric Dentists in Navi Mumbai that can provide your child with quality dental care. Among the many, it is The Cosmetic Clinic that provides the best Pediatric Dental Services in Seawoods, Navi Mumbai that you could ever get for your child. To know more, mail us at email@example.com, or call us at +91 – 9713108070 to book an appointment for your child today.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What procedures do Pediatric Dentists do?
There are quite a few Dental procedures that Pediatric Dentists undertake.
They are as follows:
a. Stainless Steel Crowns (SSCs) Stainless steel crowns are used to restore teeth that are too badly decayed to hold white fillings.
b. Tooth-Colored Fillings (Composite Resin)
c. X-Rays (Radiographs)
d. Dental Cleaning (Prophylaxis)
e. Removal of Cavities (Caries)
f. Early (Interceptive) Orthodontic Care. ...
g. Extractions (Tooth Removal)
2. How long before your child visits a Pediatric Dentist?
Generally speaking, a Pediatric Dentist sees patients from ages 0 to 18 years old. Just like a Pediatric doctor, a dentist specializes in providing young children with good dental care.
It is recommended that a child visit a normal dentist only after he officially becomes an adult at the age of 18.
3. Why do you need to choose a Pediatric Dentist for your child?
A Pediatric Dentist is trained to provide Dental work for infants and adolescents. He/she also knows how to deal with a special needs child.
In other words, Pediatric Dentist Specialists know how to get good dental work done while keeping the mind of a child at complete ease.
4. What makes for a good Pediatric Dentist?
A good Pediatric Dentist is a dental professional who has a deep-rooted passion for maintaining a child's oral health. He/she must have the ability to communicate with parents in detail regarding the development of their child's teeth.
More importantly, he/she must be able to keep the child at complete ease while performing dental procedures.
5. What skills should a Pediatric Dentist have?
First and foremost, a Pediatric Dentist should have undergone specialized training. He/she must have or develop within them the following skills.
They are as follows:
6. Is Pediatric Dentistry necessary?
While a General Dentist can provide good Dental Care for your child and help prevent cavities, a specialized oral treatment for your child is not possible.
If you want Dentistry focusing only on children's requirements, you need to visit a Pediatric Dentist and not a General Dentist.